Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Lord's Time: Chicken Pox, Baptism, and Lessons Learned

The Hospital

How we watched general conference





Hi all!  I would like to say the usual--"This week has been interesting"--but that would be lying.  Because this week has literally been the MOST BORING week of my entire mission so far!  Let me start from the beginning...Sunday night my feet started to hurt, and by Monday they were so swollen and in so much pain that I couldn't walk.  Well we went to the hospital, and the doctor took one look and told me it was chicken pox.  I was so glad to finally know, because with as much pain as I was in and everything it was scary not knowing what was going on.  But after knowing it was chicken pox, all that was left to do was sit in the apartment and try to get the swelling to go down.  The picture was of the worst day...ready for a pedicure anyone?

The hard part for me was that, being stuck in the apartment, I felt like a completely useless missionary.  I was so frustrated, and generally depressed.  I am here on the Lord's time to do His work, and being stuck in the apartment isn't how we get His work done.  After once again crying to my companion about how frustrated I was, I went upstairs and said a prayer.  I told my Heavenly Father how confused and frustrated I was, and that I didn't understand what was going on.  When I'd closed and waited for a minute, I had my epiphany.  I was exactly right--it is the Lord's time.  Which means He is the one that's in control.  So even though it was hard for me to not be able to work, I needed to trust in His divine timing and in His plan.  I still didn't like being cooped up in the apartment--I think I've gone insane from boredom--but I do have an increased testimony of the fact that the Lord truly is in control of everything.  Even though it's been really hard to deal with that, He's in charge, and it's Him I trust.



We also had the baptism of Brother and Sister Ramos!!!  We have been working so hard to help them prepare for this!  At first, they really were some of our most difficult investigators...their questions were so intense, and it was sometimes very difficult in the lessons.  But while teaching them, I gained a testimony of the gift of tongues, and of the Lord's promise that when you are on His errand, you will not be confounded before men.  Me and my companion both cried when we saw them get baptized.  Brother Ramos hadn't attended any baptism before because he'd wanted it to be a surprise for him when he got baptized, and he was able to go first.  The absolute joy that I saw on his face is indescribable, and gives me such a sense of wonder.  The Gospel of Jesus Christ truly is the greatest blessing that we could ever have, and I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to be here sharing it to my brothers and sisters.  Best job ever!!

Psalm 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God.  He is God, and He will always give us the things that will, in the long run, be for our benefit :)

A negative thinker sees a difficulty in every opportunity.  A positive thinker sees an opportunity in every difficulty.  I just had to get my thinking turned around so that I could fine the opportunity :)

I hope you all have a great week!
XOXO
Sister Pectol

No comments:

Post a Comment