Monday, March 28, 2016

Kabahay Tabernacle Choir, Holy Week, and Beach Pictures



Hello everyone!!  Happy Easter!!

There hasn't been a full week yet since my last email but there's still a lot that has happened.  I am actually emailing from Mindoro right now; we woke up at 2am this morning to get our flight here.  The flight was only an hour but because of airport lines we had to be really early.  We got here in time to join in the Mindoro zone's activity, which included a sand castle contest.  It was so fun!  But we're not allowed to swim, so we just enjoyed wading through the shallow part.  It's so pretty here; the air is actually fresh!  Our mission is very much a city mission, so it seems like I've forgotten what it feels like to have lungs that aren't full of tricycle and jeepney smoke and pollution haha.  We were able to sleep most of the morning after the activity, so that was nice, because we were definitely feeling the lack of sleep catching up to us.



This past week was Holy Week here in the Philippines, which means that basically everyone was on holiday and didn't have work.  Ideally, that would mean that everyone was home and there was a lot of people we could talk to.  But in reality, what happened is that everyone took the opportunity to go to their home provinces, so we spent the week getting punted.  And I don't know when I've ever sweat so much 😬  It's summertime now here, and even if the sun isn't shining we can literally feel the heat radiating off the concrete.  But at least we have a good time together, so even though we spent a lot of time walking and literally sweat buckets, it was with companionship unity and love haha.
Yesterday after church our ward had an Easter devotional, and it was so amazing!  They shared some of the Easter videos that I think came out this year and it was so spiritual.  #Hallelujah.  They talked a lot about the Savior's Atonement for us and what that really means and how we can use it in our lives.  It was powerful, and I learned a lot of things that I can really apply in my life.

And we have this new thing as kabahays that Sister Consulta jokingly referred to as the Tabernacle Choir.  We have USB's that have approved music for us to listen to, including the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, EFY songs, and others.  One of my favorites is 'You Raise Me Up', by Josh Groban, so whenever it comes on I've started yell singing to it.  Sometimes I do it by myself and my kabahays just suffer, but sometimes they join in the dramatic singing and then we all just have fun together.  I was never much into shower singing, but my family's going to have to look out because it's one of my new favorite hobbies XD  and it just might make them all go deaf lol.

Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it.  This is one of my favorite quotes, and actually when I was at our ward devotional I received a lot of personal revelation that prompted me to do better at focusing on the positive side of things.  I have learned that attitude definitely determines how well things can go for us.

Helaman 5:12  And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation; that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.

I am so grateful for the Savior and His Atonement, and that because of what He suffered for us we can improve and overcome our weaknesses.  I am grateful for this Easter season that we have to remember His resurrection and all He did for us, and I am grateful for the relationship I have with Him.  He's my big brother, and I know that whatever happens He will be here.

I love you all!
XOXO
Sister Payton Pectol

No comments:

Post a Comment