Sunday, June 19, 2016

Happy Father's Day! Lung Cancer and Delayed Revelation




Hi all!!  First of all, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads out there!  Whether biological dad, stepdad, grandpa, uncle, or any other father figures, I hope that you have a wonderful day and that you can feel how important your role is as a father and how much impact you have on those around you :)

This week has been good, but another busy week with 3 days of exchanges.  I got a virus or something on Tuesday, so by the time we got to the sisters' apartment on Wednesday for exchanges it had moved into my lungs and I'd basically been up all night coughing.  I gained an even stronger testimony of angels helping us in this work, because as we were hiking around and climbing up slick dirt slopes and getting smoked out by jeepneys and singing hymns and all that fun stuff, I somehow was able to continue.  I felt like I about coughed up a lung after every single lesson and I couldn't really breath as we were walking, but I'm positive that there were angels who were pushing me on so that even if I was seriously lacking in oxygen, I could keep walking.  Which just goes to show how important this work is, I guess :)

I also had a powerful lesson this week on how I receive personal revelation from Heavenly Father.  In a recent general conference, one of the speakers encouraged us to take the time to ask in our prayers what we lack yet and what we can do to improve.  I've done it multiple times, and each time Heavenly Father has used someone else to answer my prayer and tell me what to improve.  This time, it was while re-reading the talks of the last general conference that I received my answer.  I haven't been able to read all the talks yet, but I got a good start, and one of the messages that kept repeating itself over and over again was service, and how important it is for us to give service to our brothers and sisters.  I especially like the example of one sister who joined in a service project for people in need across the world.  On her way home, she felt the Spirit's confirmation that what she had done was a good thing, but that now it was time for her to walk across the street and help her neighbor.  I think that sometimes we think of service as huge projects that impact large groups of people, but the most important service is actually the kinds that most people won't notice and that probably won't be recognized.  Things like not complaining, trying to understand others' weaknesses, telling someone how much you love them--they're so simple, but they make such a huge difference.  

I loved this quote by President Henry B. Eyring:  The first thing you must commit to do is to go and serve, knowing that you do not go alone.  When you go to comfort and serve anyone for the Savior, He prepares the way before you.  As we do what we can to help those closest to us, not only will they be helped, but we will receive help as well to magnify our limited efforts.  And the best part is, as we serve others, the Savior feels it as though we were serving him 💕

Alma 26:37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.  
I've shared this scripture before, but I wanted to share it again this week because it really impacted me.  I was having kind of a rough morning and in one of our lessons I was having a hard time focusing and feeling the Spirit.  Sister Gican pulled out her Book of Mormon and then asked our investigator to read this verse, and as she did so it really impacted both her and me.  I felt like Heavenly Father was telling me that He knew I was having a rough day and that He understood how I felt, and that He was just right there with me.  It was just a short spiritual thought for that investigator, but I think for me my day started to get better after that.  I really do know that wherever we are in the world and whatever our situation is, Heavenly Father knows us and what we are going through and He will help us.

I love you all!!  Have a good week!
XOXO
Sister Pectol

No comments:

Post a Comment