Sunday, August 16, 2015

I'm Not the One Teaching

Hello everyone!!

Well it has been another great week here in PQCM!!  (That's Philippines Quezon City Mission, for all those who aren't in the loop ;) )
 

 

We have had a busy week, but unfortunately weren't able to spend as much time as we would have liked working in our area because we had meetings at the mission office.  We did have one lesson that was absolutely amazing though.  One of the less actives in our area referred her neighbor to us, and as we were getting to know him we found out that he'd already been taught by 3 different sets of companions.  He said that he had a lot of mistakes in his life and he wanted to change, but he'd never kept the commitments (he already had a Book of Mormon and pamphlets and everything).  Well we started talking about the Restoration and all that, and it was a good lesson but we could see that he hadn't really progressed before because he'd never taken the steps to learn for himself.  We got to the part about the Book of Mormon, so I started to talk about the BOM, and out of nowhere I just started slamming into him.  Now, let me explain something.  My teaching style (and personality) isn't really the type to slam into people, so it really took me by surprise.  I wasn't sure where it was coming from.  I was just straight up with him and told him that he has to act for himself and that we can come and teach and teach but unless he reads and prays and knows for himself it won't do any good.  I didn't know where my intensity was coming from and I was a little nervous about continuing, but then I could see in his eyes that what I was saying was really impacting him and actually helping him feel the Spirit.  When I saw that, I realized that I was being guided by the Holy Ghost, and I knew that what I was being prompted to say was right.  It was so powerful!  I started to run out of things to say, so I knew that I was finished, and then Sister Udarbe and Angel, the ward missionary with us, both bore their testimonies, and it was so powerful.  We recommitted him to read the Book of Mormon, and he said that this time he wouldn't "try," but that he would actually do it, and he committed to prepare himself for baptism.  It was so powerful, and suck a witness to me of how powerful the Spirit can be when we are really listening and following the promptings we receive.  We are not the ones who convert people; we are only the mouthpieces for the Holy Ghost to be able to do the converting.

And funny moment of the week...there are actually a bunch, but this one is like the cherry on top lol.  I have pictures of my family on the wall by my desk, and one of the pictures is of my brother (who is a handsome little twerp).  Well, one of the other sisters came in and was looking at my pictures, and asked me how old James is.  I said 17, and she said "I'm 20...that's not too bad of a difference!"  I started to laugh, then her companion said "No, I already have dibs!" XD  I was cracking up; I did not expect to have to deal with 2 sister missionaries arguing over my brother lol.  But, you know...it happens.  And as his sister, I obviously have priority over all of them.  RIGHT JAMES??! Lol.

My scripture for this week basically sums up my calling as a missionary in one verse :) 3 Nephi 5:13  Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.  I have been called of Him to declare His word among His people, that they might have everlasting life.  Boom.

I am in the process of re-reading the talks from this past general conference, and I found a quote today that I absolutely love.  God cares a lot more about who we are and who we are becoming than about who we once were.  He cares that we keep on trying.  --Elder Dale G. Renlund.  It's so true.  No matter what past mistakes or what current weaknesses we have, Heavenly Father doesn't care.  As long as we are doing our best to be better every day, and to reach our full potential, He will be proud of us, and He is truly always there to support us.

Lots of love, clear from the Philippines!!
XOXO
Sister Pectol

1 comment: