Sunday, April 10, 2016

Nganga: We Can't Teach in English



This week has been another fantastic week here in PQCM.  And we had a baptism!!  I'm so happy :)  Joy was a miracle investigator for us.  One of our other progressing investigators all of a sudden dropped us, and later that afternoon we were at the church to get something.  We saw Joy sitting next to one of the recent converts in the ward, and out of the blue Sister Consulta started talking to her.  From there, Joy was almost instantly our most progressing investigator.  She would read the Book of Mormon and tell us what we learned, and even though we were in Mindoro the week of her baptismal interview and couldn't be there with her, when she replied to our text she told us that this was one of the greatest blessings she's received.  The baptism was amazing, and her testimony was so strong!   I love being here and being able to help Heavenly Father's children come unto Him!

Friday we had our Mission Leadership Council, and halfway through we stopped so that we could go give service at a rest home.  It was so fun!  We sang and played games with all the lolos and lolas (grandpas and grandmas) and shared short messages with them.  There was one old lola that could still play the piano a million miles an hour, even though she's now stooped over with age.  It was neat to see the missionaries split off and group around each person; I think that they felt loved, and the change of pace was maybe a good thing to get for them.  #idon'twannagetold

We also contacted a media referral yesterday who's name is Joshua.  He lived in one of our areas that is just condos, and when he walked into the waiting area and started speaking fluent English both me and Sister Consulta could feel the nosebleed coming on.  We're speaking English in the apartment, but as we were planning for our lesson with him later we agreed that it's going to be hard for us to teach in English.  But he can understand Tagalog, which is nice.  I haven't lost any English so far, but I only know how to teach in Tagalog lol.  There's a Tagalog word "nganga" which basically describes when someone has no idea what's going on and is just sitting there with their mouth hanging open.  When Joshua asked for a Book of Mormon almost before we introduced ourselves and then started talking with us about when we could actually teach him, I think nganga was a very good description for both of us haha.  We were surprised by how excited he was and by how much he already seemed to know about the church.  It's going to be an interesting lesson later :)

Isaiah 50:7 For the Lord God will help me; therefore shall I not be confounded: therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

"No matter where we live and what our circumstances are, it is essential that our preeminent identity is as a child of God."--Donald L. Hallstrom.  The longer I'm here the more I learn that no matter where we are or what we're doing, all of us are children of God, and He loves us more that we could ever know, and is always ready for us to come to Him.  I'm so grateful for the conference messages that we got to hear this weekend; I know that we really do have a living prophet on the earth and I sustain him with all my heart.  I know that no matter what we've done with our lives we can always use the Savior's Atonement to repent and change, and I know that this truly is the work of the Lord, and that there is no greater work we could do than to share the gospel of Jesus Christ to our brothers and sisters.

Love you all!!
XOXO
Sister Pectol



P.S.  Groups of kids like this one is what almost always happens if we stand in one place for too long.  I was on exchanges in another area, and while we were waiting for the other sisters to come meet us the kids grouped around us, rubbing my freckles, touching my hair, and trying to convince me to speak English.  The sister I was with knew most of them, so she helped us get everyone grouped for a picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment