Sunday, May 1, 2016

American Kabahay!!! And Short Jokes...

This week has been good, but we've been doing so much!!  With the end of the transfer all the missionaries report what's missing in their 72 hour kits, and that is part of our responsibility here.  So we took Friday afternoon to go shopping for replacements, and let me tell you, bulk ordering 385 Nissin noodles and buying 50+ packs of hard candy gets you some weird looks.  Sister Udarbe heard someone ask who we were going to be feeding.  My answer:  The whole Philippines Quezon City Mission.  We've had to come home early almost every night this week to get things ready, so our area is kind of kawawa.  But at least we're almost done now :)  The nice thing about really getting along with your companion is that even if the work is stressful you can still smile and laugh, so it works out :)

AND I HAVE AN AMERICAN KABAHAY!!  This is the first time since I've been in the field that I've lived with a fellow Americana!!  (I had one transfer with one as a neighbor, but it's different as housemates.)  Sister Manfoste is Filipina but grew up in Utah, so we had a mini "fellow Utahn" moment when she got packages from her family with Twizzlers, Starbursts, and Pop Tarts that she was kind enough to share.  It was so fun to have those again XD

So the funny story of the week...I got called short 😒  Here in the Philippines, my height is from average to sometimes a little tall.  We were tracting a house and when the old guy opened the door he started speaking English to us.  He was so surprised when I responded in Tagalog, then after learning that I was an American he asked "So why are you so small?"
Thanks, I really appreciate that one....  I blame James for stealing all the tall genes ;D dang little brothers haha.  I'm pretty sure that's the first time I've been called short since I got here.  I felt like I was back home hahaha.

We also had the opportunity to do exchanges with a sister from the MTC, Sister King.  She will be coming to PQCM this upcoming transfer, but is having a hard time right now, so President Trask (MTC president) and President Revillo coordinated with each other so she could work with us.  We spent Saturday with her, and she didn't really open up but I hope that we were able to help her.  She's only been in the MTC for about 2 weeks, but she tried her best to Taglish her testimony in one of the lessons, and it was so powerful.  It was really cool for me to be able to bear my testimony to her about the gift of tongues and my experience with it.  I kind of saw myself in her, actually.  As I was telling her that she doesn't need to worry about being perfect in the language and in teaching, I remembered how hard I was on myself when I was new and how I almost quit, too.  But I hope that she stays; this is by far the best thing I've ever done, and I hope that she can experience that too :)

3 Nephi 15:24 But behold, ye have both heard my voice, and seen me; and ye are my sheep, and ye are numbered among those whom the Father hath given me.

Bloom where you are planted.  Or if it's too hard to bloom, at least smile :)

Love you all!!  Have a great week!!
XOXO
Sister Pectol

No comments:

Post a Comment