Sunday, January 3, 2016

Happy New Year!! Surprise Kisses and Apartment Struggles



Happy 2016 everyone!!  

I can't believe it's already here; time is going by so fast!!  Our new year's celebration was definitely different than it has been in previous years, but it was still lots of fun.  We had an early curfew again, so we had a FHE as kabahays.  As part of it we talked about one of our most spiritual experiences here on the mission, so it was really cool.  We got to see a couple of fireworks before we went to bed, but it was so noisy that we woke back up before midnight.  Everyone buys fireworks here, and they have these plastic trumpet things that are SO LOUD.  We did our new years countdown, then went out to the veranda and watched fireworks.  It was so pretty!!  We literally had a panoramic view of a sky full of fireworks.  It literally only took about 5 minutes before there was so much smoke we couldn't even breathe lol.  But it was fun :)

And I had a very unexpected experience happen this week...I got kissed!!  Not something I was expecting to happen on my mission lol.  We were visiting our old investigators that just got baptized, and the husband was telling us how grateful he was for us for teaching him the gospel, and when I shook hands goodbye with him he said "Let me kiss you."  I responded with something really intelligent like "Wut", and then he planted one right on my cheek!  It was kind of cute, but completely caught me off guard hahaha.  It's fun to find those people that you come to love and that come to love you as though they're your family.

Even though I love it here in Morong, there are definitely some disadvantages to our apartment.  For one thing, because we're up on a hill, everyday at lunch time we don't have water.  Literally, nothing.  Sometimes it's strong in the morning and in the evening, but usually it's pretty wimpy.  It takes a really looong time for the buckets to fill up so we can take a shower haha.  And our gas ran out on new years day, and because it was still the holiday, the shop was closed so we couldn't order a new tank!!  Luckily some of the members brought us food so even though we couldn't cook we managed to survive the water and gas shortage.  Sometimes life just makes me giggle :)



I Samuel 16:7 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.

"It does not matter what our personal struggles are—whether they are disease or prolonged loneliness or suffering the temptations and tests of the adversary—the Good Shepherd is there. He calls us by name and says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.""  --Elder Hugo Montoya

We had a really cool teaching experience this past week when we were visiting one of our less active families.  It's  a couple that has been inactive for years, and it was our first time to be able to teach them.  We spent a lot of time getting to know them and trying to understand their concerns.  It was my turn to give the message, so I was trying to think of a good scripture to share to them that would help them.  I ended up opening to Alma 7:11-13, which is about the Atonement of Jesus Christ and is one of my favorite scriptures.  We told them that because Jesus suffered all that He did, He understands us perfectly.  Because of the Atonement, we always have someone that we can lean on.  Because of the Atonement, no matter where we've been or what we've done, we can return and change.  We can be our best selves, and we can feel His love again.  As we shared that, I could see tears in the eyes of the wife, and the husband was obviously feeling it as well.  The Spirit was so strong, and I know that they were able to feel the love that the Savior has for them.  They didn't come to church on Sunday, but I know that we at least helped them to feel the Spirit and to feel that they are important to Heavenly Father.  I really didn't know what we should share to them, so I'm so grateful that we were listening to the Spirit and were able to find the right scripture for them.  I love being a missionary and being able to help people feel Heavenly Father's love for them!

I love you all!!  Have a fantastic week!!
XOXO
Sister Payton Pectol


No comments:

Post a Comment